On the Screenplay, I setup a small, hidden script in the root directory that removes the contents of the Alphabetical directory and recreates the same directory structure as on the USB drives. So it's a mirror image, but empty. Then I use symbolic links to link the contents of each of the USB drives. I do it this way because if you do a symbolic link of an ISO file, the screenplay can't mount and play it.
So here's the script:
rm -r *
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/Alphabetical/ABC/* ABC &
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/Alphabetical/DEF/* DEF &
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/Alphabetical/GHI/* GHI &
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/Alphabetical/JKL/* JKL &
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/Alphabetical/MNO/* MNO &
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/Alphabetical/PQR/* PQR &
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/Alphabetical/STU/* STU &
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/Alphabetical/VWXYZ/* VWXYZ &
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sdb1/Alphabetical/ABC/* ABC &
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sdb1/Alphabetical/DEF/* DEF &
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sdb1/Alphabetical/GHI/* GHI &
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sdb1/Alphabetical/JKL/* JKL &
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sdb1/Alphabetical/MNO/* MNO &
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sdb1/Alphabetical/PQR/* PQR &
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sdb1/Alphabetical/STU/* STU &
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sdb1/Alphabetical/VWXYZ/* VWXYZ &
I know that's ugly and I could have used a for statement on it. But this follows a script I am making that I'm not ready to divulge yet.
The result of that is that all of my movies appear on the main drive and I don't have to guess as to which USB drive has the movie. I just navigate to the screenplay (now automatically done during bootup, as explained in my last post). It has vastly simplied finding any of the more than 250 movies in my collection. Next, I'm going to try to add some dvd covers in some way so that the kids can browse all of the covers when just looking for a movie to view. I'll probably just put all of them in a single directory, maybe 8 to a JPG and add some background music to the folder...
Media Giant Now that I've finally gotten some time on my hands, I pulled down Fedora 11 virtual machine (from vmware appliances, I used the LinHost one
Then I pulled down the conceptronic GPL sources. 2.00.004 linux one is corrupt, so I used the 1.00.011 sources. Copied them onto the virtual machine (I put them in a windows shared directory and just accessed it from the VM).
Although the instructions are there in the readme for the doing the kernel and the app, the instructions did not work exactly as indicated. First, you need GCC. But not just any GCC. If you do a yum gcc command you'll end up with the latest stable gcc, and that won't compile the OS. Instead, I've found you have to pull down gcc 3.4.6. Do yum install compat-gcc34. Of course, you have to do this under su mode. sudo should work, but I just did su and I'm doing everything under that mode (I know, I know, bad idea).
Now at that point, you're going to have a gcc34 in the /usr/bin, but still no gcc, so you'll still get an error about compiling. I created a symlink to gcc ln -s /usr/bin/gcc34 /usr/bin/gcc and then followed the rest of the directions. When I was finished, I had a full image of everything, app included.
I haven't tried flashing the image in. Instead, I searched for DvdPlayer and then copied that onto my ScreenPlay, along with the Resources and the symlinks of the two font files in the Resources directory. I executed a kill -9 95 (my root app proces from ps was 95) and then stopall. Switched over to the /tmp/hddmedia/mediagiant directory where I had put the other DvdPlayer and executed it.
It came up.
Unfortunately, it is in PAL mode, so I can't see the screen very clearly right now and it is not responding to keystrokes, remote codes,or anything else to allow me to switch it to NTSC. When I get a chance, I'm going to hook it to my HD TV and see if I can see it better. Although, without any way to control it, it's basically worthless to me. But I can see the "Grab 'n Go" interface, so I'm pretty happy that I've gotten this far with it. I ended up having do terminate the process, which left info on the screen even though the process was no longer running. When I ran a stopall, then the info cleared from the screen and I was able to restart the Iomega DvdPlayer version.
The ellion open source code posted at MHDWorld has the source necessary to rebuild and change the DvdPlayer app, so next step will be to get that one compiled with this environment and see if it comes up. If it does, this will probably be the start of a new interface.