Hacking devices can/will void your warranty and can turn your expensive consumer electronics into worthless trash if you don't know what you're doing. This blog is for information purposes only, and if you try to hack into your own consumer electronics, you do so at your own risk. The device I'm currently hacking is the Canon SX10 IS camera.

Friday, May 29, 2009

Getting SSH working

I finally got the Iomega GPL source to compile and link in a way that didn't lock up when I did a chroot :) The uClibc binary library is a very close match to the uClibc library on the SPP. Not perfect yet, I'm getting there. But as close as it is now, I've been able to get some things working that weren't working before.

SSH, for one.

Now, a warning. The SSH is for encrypted transmission. I believe this encryption process slows down the throughput rate of the Screenplay. When doing scp to transfer a file, the fastest I got was about 300 KB/s going over wifi. That's not very good. The FTP found at rtd1261.wikidot.com runs at about 500 KB/s over the same connection. Nonetheless, there are a variety of options in SSH and maybe somebody more knowledgable about SSH than me can figure out how to fine tune this and make it faster for the SPP.

So, if you want to install SSH anyway you start by downloading the binaries I created:
http://www.box.net/shared/o4e84c03ag

Unzip the file into the root of the screenplay, preserving the directories. Now, if you have previously used the IomTools and had to unzip the Setup files, then all you need to do is turn off and turn on the screenplay again and that I10SetupSSH.sh script will automatically run. Otherwise, you will need to run the script yourself.

Now, if you haven't already set the root password, then I have to ask if you are really that serious about security... Anyway, if you haven't, then telnet into the device and set the root password. You should then be able to use ssh to do all further communications.

How did I create the binaries? SSH was an option in the buildroot, so all I did to create the files was to turn on the option and rebuild. Then it was just a matter of copying the libraries and executables one at a time until I had determined which ones were needed to get it started.

SSH does not appear to have the 2 GB limit problem like the FTP from rtd1261.

1 comment:

  1. I had to change a couple of commands from line 22 of the script:
    FROM
    cat /etc/inetd.conf.bak /tmp/hddmedia/SETUP/etc/inetd.conf > /etc/inetd.conf

    TO
    cat /etc/inetd.conf.bak > /etc/inetd.conf
    echo "# sshd " >> /etc/inetd.conf
    cat /tmp/hddmedia/SETUP/etc/inetd.conf >> /etc/inetd.conf

    ReplyDelete