Hacking devices can/will void your warranty and can turn your expensive consumer electronics into worthless trash if you don't know what you're doing. This blog is for information purposes only, and if you try to hack into your own consumer electronics, you do so at your own risk. The device I'm currently hacking is the Canon SX10 IS camera.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

PROFTP

Just a quick note that I didn't mention. In that recently posted toolchain, I have the PROFTPD file compiled. It does run, and even starts up the way it is supposed to. I haven't taken the time to figure out all of the configuration requirements. But here are some:

1) addgroup nogroup
2) adduser ftp
3) move proftpd.conf file to /etc directory
4) make directory /home/ftp
5) make directory /var/ftp (this might not be right. I'm doing this from memory. And I was equipped with fuzzy memory. Oh, wait, that's fuzzy logic. Nevermind. There was some directory here that needed to be created).
6) Copy the S50proftpd file to the /etc directory, switch to the etc directory and type ./S50proftpd start to get it started, stop to stop it, restart to stop and start it again.

There's more required, but I didn't get to it. I'll probably try again another day. Just ran out of time before I got it totally working. If you run syslogd you can capture more information about the error messages it runs into.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I've tried to make proftpd works but to no avail.
    The server runs but I can't login. It seems that proftpd says either "can't access to this directory" in case of anonymous login or "no such user found" in case of user login (got logs from command 'proftpd -nd6').

    I'm out of idea. The home dirs and users exist. I even chmod to 777 these dirs. Tried to run the server as root whith anonymous = root... No changes.

    Anyway, thanks for the precious informations you gave us.

    ReplyDelete