Hacking devices can/will void your warranty and can turn your expensive consumer electronics into worthless trash if you don't know what you're doing. This blog is for information purposes only, and if you try to hack into your own consumer electronics, you do so at your own risk. The device I'm currently hacking is the Canon SX10 IS camera.

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Creating my own binary :)

What a wealth of information I came across today. I have to give credit to klootje for steering me in that direction.

http://rtd1261.wikidot.com/start

Apparently there are already devices out there that are very similar to this one, and hacks that support those devices.

First, I wanted to find out if some of the binaries on that site would work at all. So from the tweaks page, I copied the FTP binaries out there and set it up. It worked like a charm.

So I continued to explore through the page when I came across a link that was no longer valid on the site but it put me in the right location. This was on the linux page. But here is the critical link:

http://www.uclibc.org/downloads/binaries/

In there are the precompiled toolchains necessary for developing DIRECTLY ON THE DEVICE. The best way to do this:

Download the one called system-image-mipsel.tar.bz2 and extract the image-mipsel.ext2 file. I used WinRar. Put the .ext2 file on the root of the NTFS drive. Now telnet into the drive.

cd /tmp
mkdir root_fs
mount -o loop /usr/local/etc/hdd/volumes/HDD1/image-mipsel.ext2 root_fs

What that does is mount the image from your hard drive.

chroot /tmp/root_fs

Presto. Now you can write C programs, compile them and run them. They didn't have any success doing this with the other multimedia players, but this worked beautifully on the Iomega drive. I wrote the basic "hello world" program in C, compiled it, made it executable, exited the chroot, and ran it. It displayed exactly what I wanted.

Cntrl-d to exit the chroot, by the way. gcc is the C compiler in that environment.

A whole new world to explore now. I believe many of the things found on that wiki site are going to be almost immediately usable on this drive. I have blogged all I'm going to blog on this device for the time being, as it will be much more beneficial to log this information into the wiki.

2 comments:

  1. hi,
    are you interested in writing or porting some applications to the drive? I have a chiligreen mr1 which is also based on RTD1261.
    at the moment I'm bothering why all the USB devices are mounted RO all the time, do you have a solution for that?

    I thought about trying to create just a small weather application for the drive which fetches weather info and displays on the screen. Have you found any way to extend the DVDRecorder application on the drive? Otherwise at the moment all the apps would have to be started via telnet. But for the beginning that's ok as well.

    cheers,
    dominik

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should still document your progress here. It is like wikidot is not very active.

    ReplyDelete