Hacking devices can/will void your warranty and can turn your expensive consumer electronics into worthless trash if you don't know what you're doing. This blog is for information purposes only, and if you try to hack into your own consumer electronics, you do so at your own risk. The device I'm currently hacking is the Canon SX10 IS camera.

Friday, November 28, 2008

ScreenPlay Pro, more hacking

Explored around with the telnet a little bit. I have found it to be a very useful feature, since there are so many programs already on the drive for OS support.

MemTotal: 57664 KB
VmallocTotal: 1048560 KB

I found out that while the drive is playing files from another computer, it mounts the directory as a CIFS mount. Did not have any problems at all with it streaming a 2.5 GB over the Trendnet wireless adapter. So that eliminates CIFS from the picture (CIFS has already fixed the 2 GB bug anyway, so I'd have been surprised if that weren't the case).

The 2 GB file limit I'm running into appears to be related to Samba, specifically the SMBD program automatically launched from inetd.conf file. I found that if I try to browse to a directory on my drive using Windows XP, it cannot see any files > 2 GB. Supposedly the 2 GB problem was fixed in SMB a long time ago. So I'm wondering if the port they used hasn't been done right, or just never had the patch applied.

I ran into a problem with the DVR. It kept stopping with Bad Disc error, even though I know this drive doesn't have any bad sectors on it. This is speculation at this point, but it appears that when it is writing the info to the NTFS drive and it cannot do it contiguously (it has to create a fragment) then it bombs out. Once I got past all the "holes", it didn't stop while recording. I created some open holes in the sector map by deleting some files and immediately the problem came back. Just something else for me to watch for. I'm tempted to mount the drive as EXT3 so I won't have those kind of problems, but I'm not sure if SMB can expose an EXT3 drive.

Ive had something funny happen two times now while recording DVR. The screen suddenly goes blank and the player is unresponsive. The second time this happened, I had already telnet into the system. So what I found out is that it wasn't locked up. But apparently the DvdPlayer process terminated. I wasn't able to get the process restarted though.

Oh, something really fun I found. There's an objdump program on the drive. Using that, I was able to quickly determine that the embedded language used is MIPS 3000. So now I need to setup a linux box with a toolchain and mips cross compiler so I can do some C programming for it.

More nice info. From cat /proc/version
Linux version (root@local) (gcc version 3.4.4 mipssde-6.03.01-200
51114) #29 Wed Sep 10 22:00:48 CST 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment